Saturday, December 26, 2009

Former cutter with obvious scars, how to deal with questions?

I used to cut both my arms pretty bad. I haven%26#039;t cut for 10 years, but the scars are there and very obvious. Now I%26#039;m in nursing school, how do I deal with questions from my professors, fellow students, and patients? It will be obvious to anyone with a health care background what the scars are from, but I don%26#039;t feel I should have to explain what I did a long time ago - and as a different person. Is there a polite answer that I can give, and then move on? (wearing long sleeves is not always going to be an option, especially in the summer) I plan on looking into having the scars professionally removed after I graduate, but right now don%26#039;t have health insurance or $.|||The hardest thing about making poor decisions as I did when I was drinking is to have to deal with this very issue.


Because of my years of drinking,I made decisions that affected my medical career.Course at the time I thought they were sound decisions but now with 10+yrs of sobriety/recovery I am still to this day asked about it and though emotionally upsetting to me I continue to answer all of the questions TRUTHFULLY.


In AA we call this dealing with Wreckage of the Past.





I am afraid there is no easy way to get out of your situation except to continue to deal with your Wreckage until you can do otherwise. . . .Sorry.





I commend you on your %26quot;recovery%26quot;. You have made it this far,don%26#039;t let things get you down.|||just tell them the truth - tell them you used to have issues with self-confidence, and you%26#039;ve gotten help and now you%26#039;re a much happier person than you used to be. i think more people will understand than you think. that%26#039;s what happens when i tell ppl i used to have horrible panic attacks for a long time - but i%26#039;ve gotten help, and now i%26#039;m a happier person. usually people are like %26quot;that%26#039;s really cool that you could overcome that.%26quot;|||I just always wear long sleeves.. yes, even in the summer. I have a medical waiver to excuse me from uniform restrictions.


Those few that know me know me well, I have no room in my life for those that can%26#039;t accept my flaws as part of what made me the person I am.. If it ever comes up in conversation, I shrug it off by saying it was one of those live and learn experiences and I learned the hard way or that I was young and dumb like everyone else, I was just a little dumber than most. Or if they are really nasty about it, I say I am here to move on in my life and there is no future for those that live in the past. I walk away and leave them with their thoughts.


I find encouragement in my scars, life may not be perfect, but I have come a long way.. If people want to be shallow enough to judge me for my past, they are being shallow and hypocritical.. everybody has their secrets, sometimes the ones that mean the most are just a little harder to hide.|||If you can give an honest answer that could possibly prevent a youngster from developing this same problem, then don%26#039;t hide the truth. I think in girls, it is a side effect from parents teaching them that they are basically supposed to be submissive to males, causing them to disrespect themselves as creators of new life. In males it is a side effect from parents forcing their religious convictions onto their sons in the form of eugenics by circumcision that severs the pleasure nerves of the prepuce, causing a subconscious desire to take revenge on self or others or both.|||I hate to say this but in a public setting the scars are always going to be talked about


i think the best thing, if you arent comfortable talking about it, is just to say %26quot;I prefer not to talk about%26quot;


if you dont mind giving extra info, just say it was %26quot;An unhappy time that I%26#039;d prefer not to relive%26quot;





At the end of the day, theres always going to be a group of ppl (at our hospital its a group of nurses) that are always going to be chatting it up negatively about everything


pay no attention, ur past those times and thats the best





I have a scar in my ankle that I got asked about constantly and now they just look and whisper amongst themselves, they dont ask me directly anymore


I figure they came up with their own stories, I can care less its small|||Tell them you are going to go to schools to lecture about them. And you really should do it.|||My son was a cutter although I am not 100 percent sure that he has stopped completely. Anyway he is also considering a nursing career and I have asked myself and him that very same question. How will you explain the very visible scars that are present on his chest and arms. I have tried to convince him to reconsider another profession but as of right now he wears his scars like some sort of badge and he speaks frankly about them. I guess that I would suggest that you do the same especially if you are determined to have nursing as your field of choice.|||Simply and politely state that the subject of your scars is not open to discussion.





Hope this helps and good luck with your career.|||My approach would be to give them a general answer - ie- %26quot;That happened a long time ago%26quot; or %26quot;I%26#039;d prefer not to talk about it%26quot;





If I were talking to a patient or a patients family member I would follow it up with %26quot;Why do you ask?%26quot; If they%26#039;re asking because they know a cutter, suspect they know a cutter, are a cutter, etc it gives them an easy chance to discuss it.





People by nature are curious. For the few who have problems with the scars of past cutting - that judgement speaks about their character - not yours.|||Just truthfully tell them that you don%26#039;t want to talk about it, they can use their own imagination to figure out the rest, since it really can get tiring to have to explain all about your past just so one more person in the world know. Maybe you could cover it up with makeup.....yeah, that wasn%26#039;t a helpful suggestion, sorry. Sometimes things like that could spread and people will talk about it and believe what others say so you don%26#039;t have to tell them, though I%26#039;m not sure if that%26#039;s a good thing to have.|||Tell them the truth or tell them you would rather not talk about it.|||Here are a few suggestions:





I prefer not to talk about it.





They (the scars) don%26#039;t bother me. (Then change the subject)





It is a matter of little concern.





Oh! These! They are nothing.





I%26#039;m not concerned about them.





I don%26#039;t want to talk about it.|||You will do what you ultimately feel is right, and you probably already have a defense for these type of inquiries.


Perhaps just saying that it is a personal issue that you don%26#039;t feel comfortable talking about it just yet- this doesn%26#039;t make the person or you feel bad at that time. It also opens up the possibility that you will discuss this with them later on (if you want to).


Don%26#039;t hide the scars, though. They are a part of you and people should be used to seeing you with them. The more positive you are, the more positive others will be around you.


Good luck and best wishes to you in your career- remember, to medical staff, scars tell a story (past history), and are not a means for judgment.


Cheers- ;)|||Maybe just brush it off and say...%26quot;oh that happened a long, long time ago.%26quot; And leave it at that and change the subject. Hopefully they wont be rude enough to press on.





By the way, it%26#039;s nothing to be ashamed of. You know that. Right?|||my dad is the same way i would use make up or think of a quick way to say it so you don%26#039;t talk about it for a long time . i hope you make it to a nusre or a docter and good luck with your scars|||I would just tell the some hard times in the past i am glad ur not cutting any more|||You can say %26quot;It%26#039;s an unfortunate reminder of a painful and difficult time in my life. Luckily, they don%26#039;t reflect how I feel now,%26quot; then change the subject to school...%26quot;I%26#039;m so excited to graduate...%26quot;, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment