Friday, January 8, 2010

My shelter dog has some strange scars--any idea of what could have caused them?

He is a walker coonhound less than a year old and as cute as they come. A rescue group called me and asked if I had room for one more--sigh!--because he was scheduled to be put to sleep the next day. I am curious as to what happened to him--no one told me. The backs of his hind legs were skinned and even now (I have had him for about 3 months) there is no fur growing back. The are circular, bald scars all over his legs and feet, about a centimeter in diameter, and a few on his back. Anyway, whatever happened to him was traumatic b/c it has taken me all of this time to get him out of his shell. He%26#039;s a little clown, otherwise. My guess is that he fell out the back of a truck--he%26#039;s a hunting dog that doesn%26#039;t hunt. I take him out to the field and let him go, but he won%26#039;t budge from my side while the other dogs are running and playing.|||From the sound of it it sounds like your hound was kept in a very small cement cage. Like people can get bed sore, well dogs do as well. If he couldn%26#039;t really get up or walk around he could have rubbed his skin raw enough the hair was destroyed. I have seen it before on the animal planet rescue shows. He may grow his hair back or he may be bald in those spots for the rest of his like.





Another way by the way he is acting towards you, he may have been beaten and was hit hard enough to scar. If your curious tothe point it%26#039;s all you think about call the group you got him from and request his history.





he may never open up and just be a mommas dog for the rest of his life. Thats ok too, sounds like he has a good home. =D|||You don%26#039;t say how big the scars are, but the first thing I think of is dog fighting. . . . though, those aren%26#039;t always circlular. I have no idea what happened to him, but I just wanted to tell you that I love people like you in the world! We need more homes willing to take in those poor animals who are left alone or unhappy.|||%26quot;Circular and bald%26quot; sounds a lot like ring worm, actually. If he%26#039;s been vet checked and it%26#039;s not-- then you may be right about him falling out of a truck. Poor guy!





Either way, I%26#039;m glad he has a happy new home with a good owner. Thank you for adopting.|||I think he has fleas and he makes small bites on himself not to break skin. My cat did that before I bought the tough medicine, and it could be mesquitos also. We all feel that!|||well it%26#039;s a fair question and don%26#039;t worry about people getting stroppy with you for asking, why do they bother answering anyway? I adopted my lovely 7 year old australian cattle dog from the local shelter about 2 months ago and she has also got circular bold patches on what would be her elbows on each paws. The vet told me that this is due to years spent lying down on hard surfaces (like concrete). Poor thing, tears come to my eyes when I think about it. I doesn%26#039;t hurt her though. When we brought her home, we had bought her a real comfy pure australian sheepwool bed and she refused to go on it for 2 days in a row.. no wonder poor thing, now she just loves it. If you%26#039;re concerned, mention it to your vet next time but it looks like your doggy has fallen on his feet like mine did. Good on you for adopting him.|||How would you expect someone here to know what caused scars on a dog we cannot see or have never been around? You need to ask the rescue group that asked you to foster the dog or the shelter. They are the only ones that might have an answer and I doubt if even they know.|||Sounds like ringworm to me. That%26#039;s contagious to people. Not a big deal though. It can be cured both in people and animals. Use jock itch medicine to clear it up. Really jock itch medicine!





Usually cats or kittens get ringworm, but dogs can get it.





It also could be where he used to hunt and the burrs in the woods rubbed off all of his fur. Or, he could have been in a cage forever and the bars rubbed his hair off.





I have also wondered about the dogs that we rescue, you will never know his story. It%26#039;s so sad. Always makes me wonder what they have went through until you rescued him.|||have you ruled out mange? there are two main types. do a google search and see what you can find. I have rescued a husky with mange and sometimes the scars look like injuries.


hope this helps|||I really think the circular scars on him could be ring worm. It%26#039;s a fungus like athlete%26#039;s foot. It should be looked at by a veterinarian as it is contagious even to humans. As far as the scars go, gee, that could be just about anything. From abuse and neglect to an injury of some sorts. I don%26#039;t think tho you will ever find out seeing he came from a shelter. As far as his closeness to you, that%26#039;s great! He%26#039;s adopted you as well and loves you very much. Give him time to adjust and get used to his surroundings. He feels very safe and happy with you and that is real good. And one more thing, please, don%26#039;t apologize to people who get huffy with you. You are asking for advice because you aren%26#039;t sure about something.That is how you learn. It%26#039;s not right for people to act like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment